Hello and thanks for stopping by. This is where you can find out about me, Andy M Turner, and my work as an independent public relations consultant.
Six Sigma Public Relations is my business name and this site is where I blog about the much-maligned and misunderstood world of public relations (PR).
The people who hire me are usually marketing directors, project leaders, heads of departments, agency directors, business founders or chief executives. I’m brought in for many different reasons but here are just a few:
- to bring clarity, direction and resolution to a communications, marketing or reputation-related business issue: what to say; how, when and where to convincingly say it
- generate creative ideas to drive awareness, favourable opinion, preference and advocacy for a brand, business or cause
- to sense-check an organisation’s existing thoughts of what’s needed and translate this into a pragmatic, measurable PR action plan, aligned with business goals
- to bring a neutral, outsider’s perspective with no preconceived ideas. Or just a fresh opinion and experiences from different sectors
- to complement an existing in-house or external agency resource
- help to navigate, exploit and integrate an increasingly fast-paced, dizzying array of traditional, digital and social media communication options
- advising on choosing the right mix of communications channels and content to reach – and positively influence – different stakeholders
- to bring clarity when describing what a company does in a compelling, differentiated and meaningful way
- to create and use story-telling to support perennial manage challenges, such as: revenue growth; change management; or employee attraction, engagement and retention
My background also allows me to hit the ground running in communications agencies – whether it’s adding extra resource to an existing team, taking a leadership role in client relationship turnarounds or adding specific expertise.
What else might you need to know?
Well, I’m eternally curious, so expect lots of questions about your business to get to the heart of an issue.
Whatever I’m working on, the thing I enjoy most is hearing that I’ve made a positive, tangible and lasting difference.
You can read some examples of my client references over on my LinkedIn profile. I’ve also published lots of content over on the knowledge-sharing site Quora, where more than 60,000 people have read my answers, making me the most viewed writer on public relations agencies. Newspaper, magazine and professional association articles that mention me are curated over on Google+. If you want to delve deeper still, have a read of my early working life to get a clearer idea of who I am.
I’m currently in the process of becoming a mentor/assessor of Level 4 PR apprentices for the Public Relations and Communications Association (PRCA). This involves part-time study for the Level 3 Certificate in Assessing Vocational Achievement. Once qualified, I will be mentoring and assessing learners alongside my long-standing consultancy work.
And finally, in case it looks odd, you’ll see I use my middle initial online. That’s because there are thousands of Andrew Turners out there, including a British Member of Parliament, an Olympic athlete and a well-known hip-hop DJ.
Without that one crucial letter ‘M’, I’d be invisible online.